Friday, March 4, 2011

New Food Friday - Huevos Rancheros

Not only had I never made Huevos Rancheros but I'd never eaten them either.  I know my Mom loves them though and I love eggs (Huevos Rancheros is a tomato sauce on top of a tortilla with a poached egg and other garnishes on top).

The end result was delicious but I would never make them like this again.
Huevos Rancheros
Chili Sauce
2 Tbsp vegetable oil (I used olive because I nearly always use olive)
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup finely chopped red or Anaheim pepper (I used an Anaheim)
2 garlic cloves, minced
28 oz can chopped tomatoes
1 tsp sugar
salt & pepper to taste
1/4 tsp crushed hot pepper flakes (optional) (I used them but not quite that many)
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
4-8" flour or corn tortillas  (I used flour because I prefer them over corn)
8 eggs (for poaching) (I used 6 because there's no way we need 8)
Garnish
Salsa, sour cream, grated cheddar, guacamole, canned black beans, rinsed and drained
To prepare sauce: in a deep frying pan, heat oil; saute onion, pepper and garlic until soft.  Add tomatoes and seasonings; simmer 20 minutes.  Add cheese; heat and stir until meleted and well blended.
Wrap tortiallas in foil and heat in over.
Heat beans
 
To poach eggs: break eggs into bubbling sauce and poach 3-5 minutes to desired doneness.  Place eggs and chili sauce on tortillas and pass the garnishes.
 

So I did everything just like the recipe but I didn't like that the tortillas wouldn't be crispy.  I didn't want to deep fry them so I fried them in a pan with a little cooking spray.  They were crispy which was nice but also sort of hard to cut.  The part of the recipe that I would never do again was the poaching the eggs... as I was dropping my eggs in the sauce I thought about how much cheese was in it and how it would sit, cooking, unstirred for 5 minutes and I was really worried it would burn to the bottom.  I was right.  The entire bottom of the pan was really burnt.  The dish was still good, we didn't eat the burned bits but it made for ridiculous clean up.  I don't think poaching the eggs in the sauce gave them any extra flavour so next time I'd just poach them in water.  We also put two eggs on each tortilla since I bought the big ones.
A good recipe but something I'd probably save for brunch in a restaurant.

0 comments: