Thursday, February 3, 2011

New Food Friday - Taquitos

In case you're new around here, New Food Friday is where I try a new meal and then report back on the success or failure.  I'd love if you'd join me but since there were no entries and linky tools isn't free anymore I'm dropping the linky.  Feel free to leave me a comment and tell me about your new recipe, I'd love to come back to your blog and check it out.

Since I've started making a new recipe a week we've eaten a lot of meals that were very blah, hardly worth mentioning but since I started recording them I've had some great successes.  I generally have low expectations of the new meals but for some reason I expected greatness of this meal and I definitely got it.  So yummy that we're going to eat them again tomorrow.


Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos
1/3 C (3 oz) cream cheese
1/4 C green salsa
1T fresh lime juice
1/2 t cumin
1 t chili powder
1/2 t onion powder
1/4 t granulated garlic, or garlic powder
3 T chopped cilantro
2 T sliced green onions
2 C shredded cooked chicken (for extra yumminess, use grilled taco chicken!)
1 C grated pepperjack cheese

small corn tortillas (I used flour)
kosher salt
cooking spray

Heat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.

Heat cream cheese in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds so it's soft and easy to stir. Add green salsa, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, onion powder and granulated garlic. Stir to combine and then add cilantro and green onions. Add chicken and cheese and combine well.

You can prepare up to this step ahead of time. Just keep the mixture in the fridge.

Work with a few tortillas at a time and heat in the microwave until they are soft enough to roll without cracking. It helps to place them between damp paper towels. Usually 20-30 seconds will do it. If you find yours are cracking when you roll them or are coming unrolled right away, just try heating them longer and try the paper towel thing.

Place 2-3 T of chicken mixture on the lower third of a tortilla, keeping it about 1/2 inch from the edges.

Then roll it up as tight as you can.

Place seam side down on the baking sheet. Lay all of the taquitos on the baking sheet and make sure they are not touching each other. Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray or an oil mister and sprinkle some kosher salt on top.

Place pan in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until crisp and the ends start to get golden brown.


I wouldn't change anything about this meal except perhaps to follow her directions.  We used large tortillas, not small ones and you can see the edges were pretty brown but the middle wasn't.  The filling was very hot all the way through but the browning was uneven, I really should have used the small tortillas like she says too.  I also thought when I wrapped them up that the ends looked really empty so I stuffed some extra filling in only to have it bubble out while cooking so don't worry if you have empty ends, they'll fill up.


I got this recipe from a site called Our Best Bites and you can find the original with photos and a tutorial here.  This site is my new favorite and you'll probably see a couple recipes from here in the next little bit, everything looks delicious.  They recommend serving the taquitos with a Creamy-Lime Cilantro Dressing that sounds yummy and I would have made but I didn't have all the ingredients on hand.

5 comments:

Cathy West said...

These look yummy. Definitly will try them

Emily said...

These look SOOO good! I'm deff trying them! Plus I wanted to say hi! I'm a new follower and you inspired me to recover a carseat and it came out awesome! : ) You can see it on my blog www.Jackandmeilybell.blogspot.com

Julie Lewis said...

These do look yummy. Do you think they would work with red salsa? David is allergic to avocados so we can't do green.

Laura said...

Julie I had my doubts about red salsa but I just asked Brad what he thought and without hesitation he said he thought it would be delicious. You should try it for sure.

JaCobi said...

I'm making these for dinner tonight. I'm definitely using red salsa because we don't have any green salsa. I'll let you know how they turn out!